About Our Disability Employment Service
Equity in the workforce: empowering job-seekers, building accessible workplaces
For more than 25 years we have been providing specialist employment support services for people who are deaf or hard of hearing who are seeking work. Today we remain the only specialist Disability Employment Service in NSW for people who are deaf or hard of hearing.
We provide advice for employers on recruiting and employing deaf and hard of hearing jobseekers. This is in line with the Government’s workforce participation and skills agenda and disability service policies.
Not only do we find jobs for people who are deaf or hard of hearing, we also work with them, their employers and other agencies to ensure that their new employment is sustainable and leads to financial and personal improvements in their lives.
Our staff communicate in Auslan as well as spoken English and everyone understands the communication needs of our deaf and hard of hearing consumers.
We are funded by The Department of Social Services.
The assistance that we provide:
- Job seeking assistance for people who are deaf or hard of hearing
- Support and guidance to employers who are considering employing a person who is deaf or hard of hearing
- Gaining new skills and qualifications
- Accessing work experience opportunities
- Help to manage your disability and other medical or health interventions
- Overcoming and managing other barriers to employment.
- Support to people who are deaf or hard of hearing after placement in a new job
The advantages of our specialist employment service for people who are deaf or hard of hearing are:
- Our staff possess specialist knowledge and experience which make our services more timely, effective, engaging and accessible than generalist services
- Our skilled staff show consumers that people who are deaf or hard of hearing can thrive in the workplace
- We teach communication strategies and bring in other specialist support services to ensure that everyone involved receives an ideal outcome
We also pride ourselves on adhering to the 6 Disability Service Standards.