Become a Member
Whether you are deaf, deafblind or hard of hearing, we have all faced unnecessary barriers. Maybe you do not have a hearing loss but have witnessed the barriers that deaf people face. Our vision is equity for deaf people. Each day we work toward achieving our vision whether it is supporting people to;
- live independently
- gain fulfilling employment
- develop their skills
- engage in the community
- communicate comfortably
By becoming a member of the Deaf Society, you will be showing your support for our vision and work toward equity for deaf people.
What are the benefits of becoming a member?
Here are some of the benefits of becoming a member:
- Receive our monthly Auslan / English newsletter the Deaf Herald with client stories, updates on our services, upcoming events and much more.
- Receive information about our fundraising activities.
- Receive our annual newsletter with highlights from the previous six months.
- You can vote at Annual General Meetings, it is your opportunity to have a say in how we are run.
- You can become a member of our Board, if you are interested.
- Receive invitations to our conferences and workshops.
How to become a member?
We are governed by our Constitution. Before you become a member, we recommend that you read the constitution so you will get a better idea of who we are and what rules we need to follow. Next;
- Complete and submit an application form with your membership fee of $10.00.
- Your application will be given to our Board of Directors, who will accept or decline your application.
- We will then contact you and let you know if your membership application has been accepted. If your application is declined, your membership fee of $10.00 will be refunded.